Conference Overview and Schedule | Fall Forum 2011, A Conversation among Friends | November 10-12 | Providence, RI
Nov 10 - 12, 2011 Providence, Rhode Island The Met School,
Register for Fall Forum: https://www.regonline.com/fallforum2011
Fall Forum 2011: A Conversation among Friends gathers educators, students, and their supporters to share school- and community-based practices that help young people use their minds well. We have structured Fall Forum 2011 to provide participants opportunities to ask and seek answers to hard questions, grapple with powerful ideas that will have immediate and long-term effects on their schools, and deepen the energy and strength of the CES network.
Fall Forum Full Schedule
The Fall Forum 2011 schedule is also available a PDF download here.
THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 10
6:00am-6:00pm Registration Open
FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 11
7:00am-6:00pm Registration Open
9:00am-11:00am Opening Session
11:15am-12:00pm Advisory Meetings
1:45pm-5:45 Fall Forum UnConference
1:45pm-3:30pm Workshops and Featured Speakers/Sessions - Block One
- Featured Session: Spit Heat to Cool the Planet: Music for the Movement | Student/artists and staff members from High School for Recording Arts
- Session Block One Workshops
4:00pm-5:45pm Workshops and Featured Speakers/Sessions - Block Two
- Featured Session: Sizer Fellows Panel Discussion
- Featured Session: Ron Wolk in Conversation with Dennis Littky
- Session Block Two Workshops
7:30pm August to June film screening and discussion with the filmmakers (open to Fall Forum participants and the general public - reserve free tickets here: http://augusttojunefallforum.eventbrite.com)
SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 12
7:00am-10:00am Registration Open
8:00am-9:45am Workshops and Featured Speakers/Sessions - Block Three
- Featured Session: The Best Educational Ideas in the World: Adventures on the Frontiers of Learning | Gary S. Stager, Ph.D., The Constructivist Consortium
- Featured Session: Just Listen: Students Talk About Learning | Barbara Cervone and Kathleen Cushman, What Kids Can Do
- Session Block Three Workshops
10:15am-12:00pm Workshops and Featured Speakers/Sessions - Block Four
- Featured Session: "Now I am alone..." Understanding Hamlet through his Soliloquies | Tony Estrella, The Gamm/Alias Stage
- Featured Session: On Work, Play, and Learning: A Public Conversation with Deborah Meier and Alfie Kohn
- Session Block Four Workshops
1:45pm-2:45pm Closing Session
3:00pm Fall Forum 2011 adjourns
Fall Forum Schedule and Program Details
Thursday, November 10 is an optional pre-conference day featuring visits to Essential schools in Rhode Island and Massachusetts and two day-long off-site pre-conference sessions. In the evening, we invite everyone in town for Fall Forum to gather for an informal meet and greet to get ready for two days of learning and connection.
On the morning Friday, November 11, after an Opening Session featuring a welcome, speakers, and performers, Fall Forum participants will end thei morning in an advisory group. Led by experienced CES educators and coaches, advisories at Fall Forum provide a home base, an opportunity to get to know a small group well, and a place to plan for the Fall Forum experience.
During lunch on Friday, November 11 and Saturday, November 12, participants can use the Met School campus to network and connect. In the Met School's Black Box Theater, Fall Forum participants will share their work and experience through Pecha Kucha presentations, concise, high-impact presentations of work, insights, and questions. Lunch will be available for purchase onsite and will feature a delicious array of choices from the ever-expanding roster of Providence's food trucks.
Fall Forum participants will then move into their choices of activity: workshops, consultancies, featured sessions and speakers, and an "UnConference" option on Friday afternoon that allows participants to self-organize, network, and learn.
Fall Forum participants are on their own for dinner to explore Providence's great food and nightlife.
The morning of Saturday, November 12 will feature another round of workshops, consultancies, and open space gatherings, followed by lunch and a Closing Session. Fall Forum will adjourn at 3:00pm.