Draw a graph to illustrate each of the following situations.
- Prices are now rising more slowly than at any time during the last five years.
- I really enjoy cold milk or hot milk, but I hate lukewarm milk!
- The smaller the boxes are, then the more boxes we can load into the van.
- After the concert there was a stunned silence. Then one person in the audience began to clap. Gradually those around her joined in and soon everyone was applauding and cheering.
- If movie admissions are too low, then the owners will lose money. On the other hand, if they are too high, then few people will attend and again they will lose. A movie theater must therefore charge a moderate price in order to stay profitable.
Adapted from Malcolm Swan, The Language of Functions and Graphs (University of Nottingham, England: Dale Seymour Publications).